The Arctic Yearbook is the outcome of the Thematic Network (TN) on Geopolitics and Security of the University of the Arctic, the publisher. The TN also organizes the annual Calotte Academy.
The Arctic Yearbook seeks to be the preeminent repository of critical analysis on the Arctic region, with a mandate to inform interested readers (students, scholars & scientists, other experts, policy-makers, planners, business people) about the state of Arctic politics, governance and security, as well as related (local, regional, global) new and emerging phenomena, themes and trends. It is an international and interdisciplinary double-blind peer-reviewed publication, published online at [www.arcticyearbook.com] to ensure wide distribution and accessibility to a variety of stakeholders and observers.
Arctic Yearbook material is obtained through a combination of an open call for papers (peer-reviewed scholarly articles) and invited contributions (briefing notes, commentaries). There are no author fees.
The Arctic Yearbook is open access. Readers may download, distribute, photocopy, cite or excerpt this Arctic Yearbook material, provided that it is properly and fully credited. We do not, however, allow commercial use or the making of derivatives without the written consent of the editorial team.
Lassi Heininen, University of Lapland
Heather Exner-Pirot, Macdonald Laurier Institute
Justin Barnes, Balsillie School of International Affairs
- Chair: Dr. Alexander Pelyasov (Russian Academy of Sciences; Director of Northern and Arctic Economics; Ministry of Economic Development & Trade, Russian Federation)
- Dr. Lawson Brigham (Distinguished Professor of Geography & Arctic Policy, University of Alaska Fairbanks)
- Dr. Daria Burnasheva (Senior Lecture at Arctic State Institute of Culture and Arts, Sakha Republic)
- Dr. Miya Christensen (Professor at University of Stockholm, Sweden)
- Dr. Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson (Former President of the Republic of Iceland, Chair of the Arctic Circle Assembly)
- Halldór Jóhannsson (Executive Director, Arctic Portal, Iceland)
- Dr. Kirsi Latola (Research Coordinator, UArctic Vice-President Networks, Finland)
- James Ross (Gwich'in Leader, Northwest Territories, Canada)
For more information on contributing to the Arctic Yearbook, or participating in the UArctic TN on Geopolitics and Security, contact the Editor, Lassi Heininen.
Cover Image Credits:
- Flags – Arctic Council Secretariat / Linnea Nordström
- Gavel – Arctic Council Secretariat / Linnea Nordström
- Ilulissat – Nunatsiaq News
- Samediggi – Hanne Holmgren
- Barents Euro-Arctic Council – Utenriksdepartementet/Gyro
- Althingi – Jóhann Heiðar Árnason
- Inatsisartut – Naalakkersuisut
- Other photos – Arctic Portal file photos